KYLE, Texas (KXAN) — After celebrating Christmas with family, a house fire ripped through a Kyle home destroying almost everything inside and killing four family pets.
Firefighters from Kyle and Buda were called to the house fire in the Spring Branch subdivision, about a mile north of downtown Kyle and just west of Interstate 35, before 11 p.m. Monday night.
“What do you do? What do you do when your house and everything in your house is gone?” asked homeowner Jennifer Martin.
Martin has lived in her home for the last 15 years. “All your family pictures, you know property can be replaced but your pictures and those little memory things can’t.”
Martin says eight people were in the home when the fire started, some visiting for the Christmas holiday. Martin had already gone to bed when she was alerted that her home was on fire.
“All of a sudden my niece runs into the room and she yells, ‘get out of the house, the house is on fire!'” said Martin.
The family ran across the street and once Martin made sure everyone made it out safely, her focus turned to the five dogs still inside. “The fire started in the garage and that’s where they were, you could hear them dying,” she said.
Four of the dogs were killed, the fifth was found in the back of the house by firefighters. “It was probably 15 or 20 minutes that we worked on the dog to get it to where it was finally able to stand up,” said Kyle Fire Chief Kyle Taylor. firefighters were able to use an oxygen mask specifically for animals to revive the dog.
“In recent years we haven’t had good luck. It’s good that we have the masks, you always have them just in case. This time it worked out,” said Taylor.
Martin says her dog is doing fine since the fire, and even though she’s lost almost everything material, she knows what could have been and is thankful for what was saved. “I thank them, you can say a dog is a dog, but our dog is family,” she said.
Of the eight family members, some did have to go to the hospital for breathing treatments, but were released early Tuesday morning.
The home has major smoke and heat damage from the fire.
The family has received some assistance from the American Red Cross and is staying with friends and family. They have also set up a GoFundMe page to help buy new clothes and get back on their feet.
Officials have not said what may have caused the fire.