AUSTIN (KXAN)– Six people are displaced from their home this Thanksgiving after a fire at their north Austin apartment on McNeil Drive east of Research Boulevard.
Austin Fire Department tweeted about the fire around 1:32 p.m., Thursday. Crews said the fire was caused by a cigarette that was not properly discarded.
According to firefighters, the flames were confined to the 1st floor balcony of the apartment. AFD was able to put out the fire shortly. While no one was injured, AFD said the fire did cause $30,000 worth of damage.
Austin Fire said the Red Cross will be helping to find shelter for the six people who live there.