LUBBOCK, Texas (KXAN) — As the Texas Tech Police Department works to piece together what happened during a drug arrest that ended with campus police officer Floyd East, Jr., shot to death, more information is becoming available about the suspected shooter.
Here is what we know about so far about Hollis Alvin James Daniels III.
- Age: 19
- He lived in Talkington Hall, one of the residence halls that allows campus carry guns. Carrying a gun is allowed on some areas of campus for those who are 21 and older and have a license to carry or concealed handgun license.
- Hometown: Seguin, Texas
- Seguin ISD says he graduated from Seguin High School in June 2016
- Criminal History:
- In 2015, he was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana – the charge was dismissed.
- In 2016, Texas Tech police arrested him for possession of marijuana.
- On Aug. 6, 2017, he was arrested by the Seguin Police Department on a speeding ticket. He was released from the Guadalupe County Jail on the same day with a fine.
The City of Seguin released a statement on Tuesday in response to the deadly shooting. Daniels’ father, H.A. “Dan” Daniels, Jr., was a Seguin City Council member from 1998-2002 and 2006-2010.
“I don’t know what to say,” Starke stated. He said his family has known the Daniels family for decades.