AUSTIN (KXAN) — Gov. Greg Abbott held a news conference Monday afternoon to address a staffing shakeup within his office.
Abbott’s long-time chief of staff, Daniel Hodge, is leaving and being replaced by Luis Saenz. Abbott aides tell the Texas Tribune the staffing changes as a natural transition at this point in his tenure.
“While there are big shoes to fill, I’m confident the team I’m introducing today is up to the task,” Abbott said. “There are big ideas I plan to tackle in the upcoming session, and this team will be integral in spearheading those efforts. We have already started working to ensure a smooth transition, and we will continue our work to keep Texas the beacon of opportunity.”
New staff structure that will take place on Oct. 1:
- Senior advisor for state operations: Steven Albright
- Counselor and Chief Operating Office: Reed Clay
- Senior advisor and policy director: John Colyandro
- Legislative director: Walter Fisher
- Budget director: Sarah Hicks
- Deputy chief of staff and communications director: Matt Hirsch
- Appointments director: Peggy Venable
- Senior advisor for fiscal affairs: Tommy Williams