Carbon monoxide sends 14 evacuees in Bastrop to Austin hospitals

Acadian Ambulance logo

BASTROP, Texas (KXAN) – Exposure to carbon monoxide sent 14 people in Bastrop to Austin-area hospitals Saturday night, said Bastrop ESD No. 2 Assistant Chief Andreas Rosales.

The 6 children and 8 adults are all members of a family that had evacuated from Houston due to flooding from Hurricane Harvey, he said. They were staying with relatives at a private residence – not at a shelter.

It happened in the 100 block of Woodland Court south of SH 71 and east of Tahitian Drive.

“We determined it was a faulty vent on the tank-less hot water heater,” Rosales said.

The children were taken to Dell Children’s Medical Center, while the adults were split between St. David’s South Austin Medical Center and the main St. David’s Medical Center. Of the 14, 10 of them were confirmed to have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We believe they are stable at this time,” Rosales said. “It’s not something we see often. And it’s silent, and it’s normally undetected. We urge people to go out and get carbon monoxide detectors and put them in your house.”

 

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s