Palace: Prince Philip will stop carrying out engagements

FILE - In this Wednesday, May 3, 2017 file photo Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, smiles during his visit to Lord's Cricket Ground to open the new Warner Stand, in London. Buckingham Palace said Thursday May 4, 2017 that Prince Philip will no longer carry out engagements starting this fall. (Arthur Edward/Pool Photo via AP)
FILE - In this Wednesday, May 3, 2017 file photo Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, smiles during his visit to Lord's Cricket Ground to open the new Warner Stand, in London. Buckingham Palace said Thursday May 4, 2017 that Prince Philip will no longer carry out engagements starting this fall. (Arthur Edward/Pool Photo via AP)

LONDON (AP) — Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, Prince Philip, will stop carrying out public engagements this fall, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday.

The palace said in a statement that Philip, who is 95, has the full support of the queen in his decision. He will continue heading numerous charitable organizations but will not play an active role attending engagements.

In the past Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has suffered heart problems but has maintained a vigorous public schedule. The palace did not offer any new details about his health.

Earlier in the day, a report by Britain’s Daily Mail of an unusual meeting of royal household staff sparked a worldwide wave of speculation about the health of the queen and Philip, including incorrect reports that the flag atop Buckingham Palace had been lowered to half staff.

The two appeared to be in good health Wednesday. The queen met with Prime Minister Theresa May at the palace and Philip made an appearance at a London cricket club.

Full statement from Buckingham Palace:

His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen.

Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.

The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.

Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.