PFLUGERVILLE, Texas (KXAN) — Residents near Wiseman Drive and Dashwood Creek Drive in Pflugerville were asked to stay indoors Friday following what Austin-Travis County EMS called a “toxic explosion.” At around 2:07 p.m., the shelter in place was lifted and the site was contained.
The Pflugerville Fire Department was called to the WestPark at Heatherwilde neighborhood around 12:40 p.m. The city of Plfugerville says they asked residents within a half mile radius of Wiseman Drive and Dashwood Creek Drive to shelter in place due to an explosion when an acid and base mixed causing an ammonia smell.
City officials say there is a water pump station near the subdivision. The director of operations for Windermere Utility Company says a contractor who delivers materials to the water facility put the “wrong substance in the wrong tank, causing a chemical reaction.” Pflugerville says the person was working with liquid ammonia sulfate, which caused a reaction that under pressure ruptured and created a chlorine smell.
Austin-Travis County EMS says responded to assist with a “toxic explosion,” but said there were no patients and left the scene.