AUSTIN (KXAN) — A father of four said he was scared while he rushed to get his kids and wife out of their home that caught on fire early Wednesday morning.
According to the Austin Fire Department, nine adults and four children have been displaced from their tri-plex home. Firefighters extinguished the north Austin fire on the 300 block of John Nance Garner, near Powell Lane and Georgian Drive around 4:45 a.m.
One man estimated to be in his 60s was transported by EMS to treat his burns and injuries from smoke inhalation. Red Cross is responding to assist the family.
“They’re scared. They’re cold. They’re worried about what happened to their home. So we are doing our best to provide them comfort and care and also give them a warm shoulder to lean on tonight and this morning,” said Geoff Sloan with the Red Cross.
AFD says the first units on the scene were reporting intense flames coming from the back of the triplex. The homeowner said the house had smoke alarms, but they did not go off.
“We are always reminding people that no matter what if you have a working smoke alarm it doubles your chances of getting out alive in case of a fire. That’s the first thing you need to do to keep yourself safe,” said Division Chief Palmer Buck. “Work on the most common cause of fires which is take care of your cigarettes and make sure they are not left unattended… [we’ll] see if we can figure our what happened here.”
The fire began around 3:30 a.m. The triplex is reportedly heavily damaged.
There is no word yet on what started the fire.