AUSTIN (KXAN)- Looking for some free fun this weekend? Here are some ideas from Free Fun in Austin.
- Second Saturdays: Art Car Derby (RSVP) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Race over to this auto-themed event. Build an artistic model car with a little help from The Contemporary’s experts, then see how fast it can go on the test track. Find the car sculpture hidden in the forest, then check out a selection of wild art cars parked around the grounds for the day. FREE with RSVP. Laguna Gloria, 3809 W 35th St, Austin.
- Movies on The Lawn: The Polar Express – Saturday from 4-8:00 p.m. Enjoy hot cocoa, s’mores, and a reading of the book before the movie screening begins at 5:30 p.m. Bring your folding camp chairs or blankets to get the best seat. FREE but donations of new and gently used books for BookSpring are encouraged. The Arboretum at Great Hills, 10000 Research Blvd, Austin.
- Community First! Village of Lights – Saturday from 5-9:00 p.m. With more than 170,000 lights choreographed to holiday music, the Community First! Village of Lights will be one of the biggest Christmas light displays in Central Texas. Purchase unique, handcrafted gifts at the Advent Market and help homeless and formerly homeless craftsmen and artisans earn a dignified income. Bring your camera to take photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus. A screening of Elf will begin at 7:00 p.m. Food and drinks will be available for purchase (cash only). Please also help decorate by bringing a shatter-proof ornament to hang on the 20 foot Christmas tree. FREE! Community First! Village, 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin.
- Austin Trail of Lights – Saturday and Sunday from 7-10:00 p.m. What has more than two million light bulbs, takes 15,000 man hours to assemble, and was visited by approximately 400,000 people last year? It’s the Trail of Lights–a community-wide celebration of the holiday season that’s been delighting Austinites for 52 years. The Trail is FREE nightly through Friday, December 16. Please view parking and shuttle information before heading out. You can also read our guide to Navigating the Austin Trail of Lights. Zilker Park, Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Mexic-Arte Museum Family Day – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. In conjunction with Mexic-Arte’s holiday Nacimientos exhibit in the annex gallery, the Education Department will host a holiday-themed Family Day. Projects are inspired by holiday folk art traditions in Mexico and the U.S., and will include hand-printing wrapping paper, screen printing holiday cards, and folding decorative paper ornaments. All ages welcome. FREE! Mexic-Arte Museum, 419 Congress Ave, Austin.