Punch Bowl Social might be cocktails to mind–but their food is not to be outdone. Executive Chef Justin Dixon dropped by with their take on a favorite. Biscuits and gravy is a popular breakfast dish in the United States, especially in the South. It typically consists of a white sausage gravy, but we opted for a mushroom gravy at Punch Bowl Social. Punch Bowl Social is in the Domain. Go to punchbowlsocial.com or call 512-368-9070 for more information.
Buttermilk Biscuits (recipe below)
White Mushroom Gravy (recipe below)
Cornmeal Dredged Tomato
Dredge halved tomato in seasoned cornmeal, and toast until crispy. Place warmed biscuits in entrée bowl and ladle 6 ounces of white mushroom gravy on the biscuits. While biscuits are cooking, fry breakfast potatoes, adding sage, garlic confit and red onions to the potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Place potatoes opposite of biscuits and gravy. Place tomato on the side, and place eggs in the division between the potatoes and biscuits, and top with 1/4 sliced, fanned avocado.
11 ½ lbs. AP Flour
8 ounces Baking Powder
9 ounces Sugar
2 ounces Salt
6 pounds Butter, cold, cubed
7 lbs. Buttermilk
10 ounces Cotija Cheese
10 ounces Parmesan
• Working in batches, pulse the butter with some of the flour until the butter is pea sized. Add this to the remaining flour
• Add all ingredients except for buttermilk to bowl of stand mixer
• Using the paddle slowly add buttermilk, just until dough has all pulled together
• Roll out to 3/4 inch thick, and cut with #7 ring mold. Freeze on sheet trays and bag when frozen – do they have to freeze them or can they bake right away?
• To bake, brush with egg wash and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Rotate and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
Poutine Gravy Recipe
4 cups Mushroom Stock
2 cups Veal Demi Glace
½ cup Wondra Flour
4 teaspoons Salt
• In a medium stockpot, add mushroom stock, veal demi, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil.
• Whisk in flour and simmer for 5 minutes (using an immersion blender if necessary to avoid lumps)
• Taste and re-season as necessary
• Store in airtight container
Mushroom Gravy Recipe
8 cups Poutine Gravy
4 cups Shiitake Mushrooms sliced
¼ Olive Oil
• Heat olive oil in medium stock pot
• sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes
• Add poutine gravy and simmer for 2 minutes
• Taste and reseason as needed
• Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and store in airtight container.