AUSTIN (KXAN) — The day before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel days of the year. In Texas alone, nearly four million people will drive home to see family and friends.
The Texas Department of Transportation is pushing a Drive Clean Texas campaign. Christopher Bishop with TxDOT Austin joined us in the KXAN studio to discuss the initiative.
Their goal is to help drivers save money while making their cars cleaner.
Drive Clean Texas suggests these six tips for saving money and reducing air pollution:
- Maintain your vehicle and make sure you’re up to date on oil changes.
- Properly inflate your tires to the recommended air pressure.
- Never “top off” your gas tank when you fill up and always seal the gas cap tightly.
- Drive less by combining errands into a single trip.
- Carpool, ride a bike or use public transit as an alternative to your car. Try it once a month to get started.
- Accelerate and brake slowly and gradually.