AUSTIN (KXAN)- Need help planning your holiday weekend? Here are some ideas from our partners at Free Fun in Austin.
- Close Assault 1944– Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Remember the true meaning of Veterans Day with this stirring look back at World War II. Close Assault 1944 honors the service and sacrifice of America’s veterans by focusing on the history of the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard during World War II. Show times are at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. both days. The 45,000 square-foot Texas Military Forces Museum will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during the weekend and on Memorial Day. Both the program and admission to the museum are FREE! Camp Mabry, 2200 W 35th St, Austin.
- EAST: East Austin Studio Tour– Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Big Medium’s East Austin Studio Tour is a FREE, annual, self-guided art event spanning across two weekends in November. EAST provides opportunities for the public to meet the local artists and artisans of Austin in their creative spaces. View EAST catalog and map here.
- 11th Annual Home Slice Carnival O Pizza– Saturday from Noon to 7:00 p.m. Come one, come all for an afternoon of pizza-themed fun. A celebration of Home Slice’s love for all things pizza, this FREE family-friendly event will have over-the-top pizza-themed activities, entertainment, live music, and exciting prizes, with all proceeds benefiting this year’s non-profit recipient: Austin Bat Cave. Home Slice Pizza, 1415 S Congress Ave, Austin.
- Fall Family Fun Day– Saturday from 1-4:00 p.m. Bring the kids to the Museum to welcome two new art pieces to the grounds of the Ney in Fall family style. There will be refreshments and sculpting activities, storytelling, face painting, and much more. FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
- UMLAUF Family Day– Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Explore the collection, create art, listen to stories, practice yoga, watch sculpture demos, enjoy live music, and more. FREE!Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin.