The holidays are fun, but they are also a time of more, more, more and that can lead to trouble. To help us avoid unnecessary trips to the emergency room this holiday season, Dr. Brian Aldred of Five Star ER shared important tips.
Turkey Carving Safety Tips:
- Never cut toward yourself. Your free hand should be placed opposite the side you are carving towards.
- Keep everything dry including your cutting area and knife handle
- Keep all cutting utensils sharp
- Use an electric knife for the carving whenever possible
- Use kitchen shears to cut the joints and turkey bones
- Don’t let children help with the carving, cutting or chopping.
Seek medical help:
- If you continue to bleed after 15 minutes of continuous pressure
- If you are unaware of your tetanus immunization status
- If you can’t thoroughly clean your wound with mild soap and clean water
- If you have persistent numbness or tingling in your fingertip
- If you don’t have full range of motion in your hand or finger
About Five Star ER
Five Star ER, based in Austin, Texas, is a freestanding emergency department owned and operated by Emergency Service Partners (ESP), a physician-owned group providing emergency medical care in Central Texas emergency rooms since 1988. ESP is also the exclusive provider of emergency physician services to the Seton Healthcare Family. Five Star ER, in partnership with the Seton Healthcare Family, leverages the existing relationship to offer continuity of care should there be a need for patient transfer. Operational hours for Five Star ER facilities are 24/7/365. For more information visit FiveStarER.com.
Sponsored by Five Star ER. Opinions expressed by guests on this program are solely those of the guest(s) and are not endorsed by this television station.