North Texas polling place opens late after election judge found dead

Grand Prairie polling place (NBC News photo)

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas (KXAN) – A polling place in North Texas opened late after the election judge for the location was found dead in his home Tuesday morning.

Grand Prairie police confirmed they found the judge at about 8:15 a.m. after they were asked to perform a safety check.

The medical examiner ruled 60-year-old Gary Cox died of natural causes. Officials believe he had medical issues.

An alternate judge was called to fill in at the judge’s polling location and workers had voting set up by 8:30 a.m.

Also, in Garland, officials say a polling judge was assaulted while stopping at a grocery store on the way to her location.

“She had stopped at a grocery store to pick up some snacks for her worker and was held at gunpoint and she was assaulted at that time,” said Dallas County Elections Administrator Toni Pippins-Poole. “The police did take her and her election supplies to her location, and she got her workers up and running at 7:00 a.m., and then she went to the hospital.”

As for the polling place that opened late following the judge’s death, officials have approved a 2-hour extension to 9:00 p.m. Tuesday night. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s