NATO says 2 US service members killed in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP/KXAN) — NATO says two U.S. service members have been killed and two others have been wounded fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan’s Kunduz province. NATO made the announcement in a statement on Thursday.

The coalition says the “service members came under fire during a train, advise and assist mission with our Afghan partners to clear a Taliban position and disrupt the group’s operations in Kunduz district” in the province of the same name.

NATO declined to identify those killed, pending notification of the next of kin.

Afghan police official says 26 civilians also died in the attack.

NATO’s combat operations ended in Afghanistan at the end of 2014, a move that put Afghan forces in charge of the country’s security. Since then, Afghan forces have suffered heavy casualties battling Taliban insurgents who have at times overrun provincial capitals before being pushed back.

Last month, a Fort Hood soldier was killed in Afghanistan when he and a civilian employee encountered hostile enemy forces. According to the DoD, as of Nov. 2, 2016, 26 service members have died as part of Operation Freedom’s Sentinel–which includes casualties that occurred in Afghanistan.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s