Jury finds 7 Oregon occupiers not guilty of conspiracy

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — About 10 months after the 41-day takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, a jury found 7 occupiers not guilty of conspiring to impede federal workers from doing their jobs at the refuge.

The verdict came one day after a juror was dismissed due to concerns over his impartiality.

Ammon Bundy’s attorney Marcus Mumford was tackled to the ground in court after arguing his client should be free to go in light of the verdict. Ammon and Ryan Bundy are still under federal indictment in Nevada.

Mumford was detained by about half a dozen U.S. Marshals.

An alternate juror was called in Thursday morning and deliberations began once again. It took just hours for the jury to decide the fates of Ammon Bundy, Ryan Bundy, Neil Wampler, Kenneth Medenbach, Shawna Cox, Jeff Banta and David Fry.

The trial began September 7 and was expected to last until perhaps Thanksgiving. But the presentation of evidence by both sides went much faster than expected.

Judge Anna J. Brown sent the case to the jury on October 20. About a full day into their deliberations, one of the jurors questioned the impartiality of another, who previously worked for the Bureau of Land Management.

After questioning that juror in front of attorneys for both sides, Judge Brown dismissed Juror 11, replacing him with Juror 18 (one of 7 alternates.)

Jury deliberations began again on October 26.

The 41-day occupation began January 2 when protesters marched through the streets of Burns in support of ranchers Dwight and Steve Hammond. They were ordered to return to prison to complete their sentences for burning land on federal property.

After the march, Bundy and others went to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and began the occupation.

The Bundy brothers held nearly daily press briefings to make their points known — they wanted the refuge returned by the federal government to Harney County

But county officials never supported the plan, and a series of contentious town hall events brought emotions to the forefront.

On January 26, the Bundys and others were intercepted along Hwy 395 on their way to John Day. There were 2 cars in the caravan of occupiers — one driven by an FBI informant and the other by militia spokesperson LaVoy Finicum.

Finicum tried to get away from the FBI and OSP blockade. When he plowed into a snow bank on the side of the road, he got out of the car and was shot to death as he reached for his gun.

Most of the occupiers left the refuge soon after. But 4 people held out — including Banta and Fry — who didn’t surrender until February 11.

Just before they surrendered, though, Cliven Bundy — the father of Ammon and Ryan, who led an anti-government standoff at his Bunkerville, Nevada ranch in 2014 — came to Oregon to support the remaining occupiers.

He was arrested by federal agents as he got off the plane in Portland. All the Bundys now also face federal charges related to Bunkerville.

In all, about 2 dozen people were arrested in connection with the occupation.

The trial of these 7 was the first one. Another 7 people face trial in February.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s