Ghost pepper burns hole in man’s esophagus

ghost pepper (AP)
ghost pepper (AP)

U.S. (KRON)— Imagine eating something so hot that it tears a hole in your esophagus and have to spend more than three weeks in the hospital.

That is exactly what recently happened to one man.

The details came out during a study by UCSF.

The culprit is a ghost pepper.

The man had eaten a hamburger smothered with a ghost pepper puree as part of contest.

It was so hot it caused a two-and-a half centimeter tear in his esophagus.

This is how hot the pepper is.

In Scoville units, which measures the heat, it clocks in at one million.

A habanero comes in at half-a-million.

A jalapeno anywhere between 2,500 to 8,000.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s