AUSTIN (KXAN) — After Sunday night’s heated presidential debate, many Americans are ready to head to the polls.
If you want to make sure your voice is heard this election, the clock is ticking on the time left to register to vote. Tuesday is the last day.
Early voting begins Oct. 24 and ends Nov. 4. Election day is Nov. 8.
What to bring to the polls to vote has been a controversial topic. The Texas Voter ID law has been called misleading and discriminatory against minorities and the poor.
A judge issued a ruling saying Texas was supposed to let voters know that even if they didn’t have an approved ID they would still be able to vote as long as they filled out a form saying why they couldn’t get it. Critics of the law say officials have not updated their voting education materials to let people know they can still vote without an ID.
A federal judge says Texas must change its voter outreach efforts. U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos ordered Texas to begin letting federal officials review drafts of voter outreach and education materials before they are published.
The Justice Department says that despite the ruling, Texas still gives the impression that some voters can’t cast a ballot. Texas must now tell residents who can’t obtain an ID due to a “reasonable impediment” that they can still vote by signing an affidavit.
Under Texas’ Voter ID law, in order to vote, you must bring one of the following:
- Texas driver’s license issued by the Department of Public Safety
- Texas election ID certificate
- Texas personal ID card
- Texas license to carry a handgun
- US military ID card with your photograph
- US citizenship certificate containing your photograph (doesn’t need to be current)
- US passport
If you don’t have any of the listed IDs, you can (1) sign a sworn statement that there is a reason why you don’t have any of the IDs listed above, and (2) bring one of the following:
- Valid voter registration certificate
- Birth certificate
- Current utility bill
- Government check
- Paystub or bank statement that includes your name and address
- Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph).