AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin police have released a breakdown of robberies in downtown with 19 cases in the past two months.
The majority of the 23 victims were alone when they were attacked. Most of the cases involved male victims, with 15 men attacked and eight women.
Out of the total number of cases nine resulted in arrests. Half of the incidents occurred on a Friday or Saturday night and all of the attacks were between 8 p.m. and 6:30 a.m.
Most of the cases were on a sidewalk or in a street. Of the victims, 26 percent were intoxicated at the time of the robbery.
The area that saw the most number of robberies, with 50 percent of the cases, was on East Seventh Street to East Ninth Street and from San Jacinto to Neches.
Tips to stay safe:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Avoid seeming intoxicated because it makes you a target
- Stay in groups of people, especially during the peak robbery hours
- If it appears someone is following you police say to run to get away
- Don’t walk using your phone because it shows robbers that you have valuables
- Alternative ways to get home here