YOLO CO., CA (KCRA/WCMH) — A $4-million lawsuit brought by a registered sex offender against his victim and her family was dismissed Monday by a California judge.
Lang Her is currently being held at the Yolo County jail, following a rape case in which he was charged with two counts of rape and one count of sexual battery.
In July, a deal was reached in which a judge sentenced Her to one year in jail after he pleaded “no contest” to assault by means of force likely to commit great bodily injury. He also agreed to register as a sex offender for the duration of his five-year probation and undergo counseling.
Immediately after Her was sentenced, the victim was handed the lawsuit, former U.S. attorney McGregor Scott said. He represented the victim pro bono during this case.
“This woman had been victimized in the most horrible set of circumstances imaginable,” he said. “And as soon as her attacker was sentenced in the criminal courts, she got served with a lawsuit as she’s walking out of the courthouse.”
Her’s attorney declined an interview. The civil lawsuit, filed in Yuba County, is over a Facebook post by the victim’s family calling Her a rapist.
Because he wasn’t convicted of rape, Her sought damages of $4 million for defamation of character.
The case was completely dismissed within 15 minutes at the Yuba County Superior Court.
“I think what he highlighted was the fact that the plaintiff in this case — Mr. Her — pleaded guilty to a felony sexual assault of my client, and to then turn around to file a lawsuit, he stood virtually no chance of prevailing,” Scott told KCRA. “Now today, we have some finality and these folks can put this behind them and get on with their lives.”