Citronella candles likely cause of warehouse fire

Lab at Department of State Health Services in Austin testing mosquitoes for Zika and other viruses. (KXAN Photo/Richie Bowes)
Lab at Department of State Health Services in Austin testing mosquitoes for Zika and other viruses. (KXAN Photo/Richie Bowes)

ROUND TOP, Texas (KXAN) — Candles meant to help keep mosquitoes and other summer pests away are the likely culprit of a fire in Fayette County.

Firefighters near Round Top were called out to a building on Farm-to-Market Road 1457 at about 11:15 a.m. Saturday. They found a 2,000 square foot metal building engulfed in flames according to the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators believe the fire started from citronella candles. Deputies said the building, which was near a home, had furniture and other items inside.

While crews from as far away as Fayetteville helped get the fire under control with no one injured, the fire caused a lot of damage. Deputies estimate the building had about $150,000 worth of damage and the items burned inside were worth about $100,000.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s