AUSTIN (KXAN)- Here’s what our partners at Free Fun in Austin recommend.
- Family Program: Recycled Robots – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Put everyday materials together to form a robotic work of art, then stop by the animation station to bring your friend to life and watch it make art on its own! FREE! The Contemporary Austin at Laguna Gloria, 3809 W 35th Street, Austin.
- West Austin Studio Tour – Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. WEST is a FREE, annual, self-guided art event providing the public with an opportunity to meet the makers: the local artists and artisans who leave a lasting imprint on Austin’s vibrant, dynamic culture. Tour-goers are invited to discover new artistic talent, see working studios, learn about artists’ tools, techniques, and inspirations, and explore unique exhibition spaces and local businesses. View the online catalog and map here.
- Ney Day – Saturday from Noon to 5:00 p.m. Celebrate Elisabet Ney, her art, and her legacy with the trapeze artistry of Madi Ward; live music from Sevana Marimba, Miss Lavelle White, BettySoo, Molly Burch, and Nina Diaz of Girl in a Coma; sculpting and art demos; hula hoopers; technology activities; clay crafting; health screenings; bookmaking; food trucks; and booths from Austin Pets Alive!, GenAustin, TreeFolks, Women Printmakers of Austin, Girls Rock, Stitch Lab, Thinkery. The Ney Museum will also host the public opening of a new interactive outdoor sculpture by featured artist Jenn Hassin. Come add to it yourself. Admission is FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
- Deep Eddy Centennial – Saturday from 5-9:00 p.m. Live music on the west lawn will include Melancholy Ramblers, Hey, and Sister Jane. The H2Ho’s will make a splash in the pool with their synchronized swimming; face painters and balloon twisters will walk the grounds entertaining the guests; and the festivities will wrap up with family-friendly fire dancers. Food and drinks will be available for purchase. Prizes for most original and most authentic swimwear will be awarded to those who come dressed in costume or retro bathing attire. FREE but all donations and proceeds will go to Friends of Deep Eddy towards their continuing efforts to help maintain and support the grounds. Deep Eddy Pool, 401 Deep Eddy Ave, Austin.
- Verbena at Fiesta Gardens – Sunday from Noon to 8:00 p.m. This exciting event will feature several community bands, dancing, food, and kids activities. Enjoy performances by Waterloo Wind Band, Pecan Street Brass, Austin Brass Band, Band of the Hills, Violet Crown Flute Choir, and Austin Civic Wind Ensemble. Family-friendly and FREE! Fiesta Gardens, 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St, Austin.