Medical examiner: Fort Worth-area toddler died of hyperthermia

(KXAN File Photo)
Baby bottle (KXAN File Photo)

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A coroner says the February death of a Fort Worth-area toddler was from hyperthermia and her parents say the heating system malfunctioned.

WFAA-TV reported Thursday that the parents of 1-year-old Sammie Volmert say the temperature in her room topped 100 degrees. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office listed the cause of death as accidental exposure to hyperthemic conditions.

Larry Volmert says he noticed it seemed very hot upstairs on Feb. 29 when he checked on Sammie.

The parents say the thermostat for Sammie’s room was at 72 degrees when she was put to bed the night before. Keri Volmert says her daughter did not make any noise overnight. The downstairs has a separate heating system.

The Volmerts are trying to make sure other parents use baby monitors with temperature sensors.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s