KATY, Texas (KXAN) — A child’s pair of light-up sneakers are being blamed by his parents for a car fire at a home in Katy.
Attila and Jovan Viraj bought their son a pair of “Jake and the Neverland Pirates” light up shoes at a Payless Shoe store. Their son kicked off the shoes in the car before going inside the home.
The family says they awoke Saturday morning to smoke coming from their car outside. While the Fire Marshal has yet to release the origin of the fire, the parents firmly believe it was the lithium ion battery in the shoes that ignited the flames.
“I was rather surprised there was a little lithium ion battery in there just to get some LED lights blinking, It seems rather unnecessary,” said Viraj.
The couple says they are thankful their son wasn’t wearing the shoes at the time they caught fire.