AUSTIN (KXAN) — The recommendations for the future name of Robert E. Lee Elementary in Austin were released, Friday.
On March 28, the Austin ISD board voted to rename the school, after hearing feedback from the community and school parents. While the board asked for recommendations, they will have final say on the name, regardless of number of nominations.
Security has been increased at the school as a precaution.
Top 10 renaming recommendations — sorted by most nominated:
- Donald J. Trump Elementary: 45 nominations
- Robert E. Lee Elementary: 34 nominations
- Russell Lee Elementary: 32 nominations
- Harper Lee Elementary: 30 nominations
- Elisabet Ney Elementary: 15 nominations
- Lee Elementary: 13 nominations
- Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance: 8 nominations
- Waller Creek Elementary: 8 nominations
- Dr. Frances J. Nesmith Elementary School: 7 nominations
- Guy Bizzell Elementary: 6 nominations
Some of the more notable, but less voted names include:
Adam Lanza’s School of Fun, Bee Movie, Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary, Boaty McBoatface Elementary School, Forgetting the Past Dooms You to Repeat It Elementary, Garfunkel, Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School, John Cena Elementary and Schooly McSchoolerson.
Parents, past students, neighbors and community members are divided on the Confederate general’s role in history, and whether or not the school should bear his name. The school’s name was brought into question after the shooting in Charleston, South Carolina.