PHOTOS: How the Oregon militia left wildlife refuge after occupation

BURNS, Ore. (KOIN) — For the first time since the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge ended February 11, the media was allowed into the area to see the remnants of the occupiers.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service provided a tour for media and released photos of the way the occupiers left the refuge.

The final cost of the cleanup is not fully known, even by officials with the US Fish and Wildlife Service. However, officials said the cost to taxpayers so far has been about $6.5 million.

Part of the cleanup will be the remediation of delicate, ancient archaeological items. Some were very damaged, officials said.

Safes were broken into at the refuge. Money, cameras and computers are missing and officials said that is just the beginning of the inventory.

Members of the media on tour were advised to watch their step in certain spots along. After some pipes burst, officials said, militia members defecated “everywhere.”

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s