AUSTIN (KXAN)- Don’t waste a beautiful weekend staying inside. Here’s what our partners at Free Fun in Austin recommend.
- Hooked on Mueller– Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. Texas Parks and Wildlife is stocking Mueller Lake Park with 2,300 rainbow trout fish. Aside from fishing, TPWD will be on hand with demonstrations and educational stations. Live music will be provided by The Rust Tones. Additional activities, giveaways, snacks, and coffee will be sponsored by Mueller businesses. FREE! Mueller Lake Park, 4550 Mueller Blvd, Austin.
- Outdoor Kids 2016– Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Parents, teachers, children, and the entire community are invited to experience a day of nature-focused activities. This event will provide opportunities to register your children for summer camps, discover local outdoor opportunities, and hear about multiple organizations that are willing to help get kids outside for little to no cost. Activities will include: free rock climbing, archery, and outdoor activities; El Ranchito camping tent tour and summer camp registration; nature opportunities; outdoor Zumba; reptiles; books for kids; prizes, and more. FREE! El Buen Samaritano, 7000 Woodhue Dr, Austin.
- Nature in Motion Family Science Day– Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. 4-H CAPITAL and the Austin Nature and Science Center are hosting this family science day filled with hands-on exploration of motion and nature for all ages. Activities include: solar cars, wind turbines, watersheds, vermicomposting, irrigation challenge, fish locomotion, robots, citizen science, and more. FREE! Austin Nature and Science Center, 2389 Stratford Dr, Austin.
- Kite Workshop– Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Fly on by and learn how to make a kite for the annual Zilker Kite Festival while enjoying vibrant live music in the park. Children will have the opportunity to make multiple kites and then fly them in the park. Materials and instruction will be provided courtesy of Communities in Schools and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. FREE for all ages. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
- 17th Annual African American Community Heritage Festival– Saturday from 1-5:00 p.m. With a purposeful objective to raise scholarship funds for Huston-Tillotson University, Texas’ oldest Historical Black College, AACHF offers a family-friendly extravaganza filled with games and vendors featuring: a Kid’s Zone with bounce houses; safety demonstrations; arts and crafts; home décor, books, clothing, and jewelry for sale; storytelling; health, vision, and dental screenings; insurance outreach; dancing; prize giveaways; and a live entertainment mix to satisfy varying musical tastes. Admission is FREE! Huston Tillotson University, 900 Chicon St, Austin.