AUSTIN (KXAN) — Investigators have determined lightning sparked a house fire in western Travis County Tuesday morning, according to the Travis County Fire Marshal’s Office.
It happened around 1 a.m. on Patterson Road. Reports came early this morning of smoke billowing from the attic area of the home. Neighbors said they were woken up by thunder and immediately smelled smoke.
Crews from several departments responded to the fire. Firefighters said the fire started in the attic. There is $300,000 in damage to the second floor of the home.
KXAN meteorologist David Yeomans said last night our lightening detection equipment picked up on at least seven lightening strikes hitting the ground in Western Travis County in a 20 minute period around 1 a.m.
Nobody was injured in the fire.