Driver returned to scene of January hit-and-run, denied involvement

Tommy McGrew (Williamson County Photo)
Tommy McGrew (Williamson County Photo)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A man is accused of hitting a woman with his vehicle in Northwest Austin on Jan. 6 and then leaving the scene. The victim was identified at the time as 22-year-old Katherine Snodgrass.

Tommy McGrew, 29, has been charged, Tuesday, with failure to stop and render aid, a second degree felony.

On Wednesday, Jan. 6, at around 11:17 p.m., Austin police arrived to Lakeline Mall Drive and North Lake Creek Parkway to find three bystanders aiding Snodgrass.

Katherine Nora Snodgrass died when a vehicle ran into her on Lake Creek Parkway. (KXAN Photo/Lauren Kravets)
Katherine Nora Snodgrass died when a vehicle ran into her on Lake Creek Parkway. (KXAN Photo/Lauren Kravets)

She was bleeding profusely from a head injury, police say, under the Capital Metro bus stop awning in the 9700 block of Lake Creek Parkway. Officers found broken glass and a right side rear view mirror.

Austin-Travis County EMS arrived shortly after the officers and attempted to save her life, but she died at St. David’s Round Rock Hospital at 11:43 p.m.

Police asked the three bystanders if they saw the crash, and all three said they had not.

At 3:24 a.m. that morning, authorities received a 9-1-1 call from Tommy McGrew who said he hit what he thought was a deer and could speak to officers at 10800 Lakeline Blvd. When officers showed up at the address, they found that McGrew, and another person, Callie McGarey, were two of the three bystanders at the scene of the hit-and-run.

In the parking lot, the officers found a car that had damage to the right-front of the vehicle, as well as missing the right side rear view mirror.

Callie McGarey told police that McGrew had gone by himself to Whataburger. She fell asleep and was awakened by McGrew, who told her that he hit something and they needed to go back to see what he hit. McGarey described him as being frantic.

They returned in her car, because she didn’t want him to drive in his frantic state, she said. When they arrived at the bus stop, they found Snodgrass’s body. They called 9-1-1 and said they didn’t think she was breathing.

McGarey says she was still in shock when police officers arrived, so she did not tell police of their involvement. Tommy McGrew then contacted his attorney, who, he says, advised him not to contact police. McGarey says she did not think that was the right thing to do and later called 9-1-1 to report their involvement.

The third bystander was not involved. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s