HOUSTON (AP) — Two cousins have been arrested after a 4-year-old girl they were watching was critically burned last April at a Houston motel.
The suspects told police that they put alcohol on the girl’s mosquito bites and she accidentally caught fire from a cigarette lighter.
Harris County jail records show 38-year-old Veronica Harris was being held Wednesday on a charge of causing serious bodily injury to a child by omission. Police say Harris waited a day after the incident to take her niece, with burns on a third of her body, to a hospital.
Christen Rogers, who’s 23, is charged with injury to a child.
Online records don’t list attorneys to speak for the suspects. Bond was set Tuesday at $30,000 apiece.
Child Protective Services took custody of the girl.