Austin (KXAN) – Whether you are into the big game this weekend, or want to find something else for the family to do, there are plenty of free events going on around Austin.
Here are some from Free Fun in Austin, click here for more.
- Kids Workshop: Valentines Mailbox (RSVP) – Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Each kid attending this hands-on workshop will build a wooden mailbox to hold Valentine cards from their favorite friends. After the mailbox is built, children can personalize their projects with paint. All kids get to keep their crafts, receive a certificate of achievement, a workshop apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Reserve your child’s FREE spot here. Your local Home Depot store.
- 2nd Annual Food+City Challenge Prize Showcase Day – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Witness the finale of the Food+City Challenge Prize, a competition among business start-ups encouraging innovative ideas to improve the urban food system. More than 20 finalists from across the world will convene in Austin to present their business ideas before a panel of judges and attendees. Everyone is encouraged to vote in the People’s Choice Award for their favorite new food business finalist. Food and drink samples from local businesses such as 512 Brewery, Wholy Bagel, Tiff’s Treats, and Snap Kitchen will be on hand. FREE! McCombs School of Business, 2110 Speedway Ave, Austin.
- 9th Annual Puppy Bowl – Saturday from Noon to 2:00 p.m. This Super Bowl-themed, family-friendly community event features AHS adoptable puppies dressed in uniform, as well as some kitten cheerleaders. Outside in the tailgating area will be a food truck, local vendors and businesses, your favorite tailgating games like corn-hole and giant jenga, face painting, children’s activities, and tunes provided by DJ Mike Swing. Down in the “Endzone,” South Austin Brewery will keep the adults hydrated and a convertible Mazda Miata will be up for raffle. FREE! Austin Humane Society, 124 W Anderson Ln, Austin.
- Kite-Making Workshop – Saturday from 1-3:00 p.m. Get a head start on making your custom kite to fly at the upcoming Zilker Kite Festival. Materials and instruction will be provided courtesy of Communities in Schools and the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. FREE! AB Cantu/Pan American Recreation Center, 2100 E 3rd St, Austin.
- Public Art Tour: NYC in ATX – Sunday at 11:00 a.m. Escape the chilly winter temperatures and join Landmarks, the public art program of The University of Texas at Austin, for a docent-led tour of art in Bass Concert Hall on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The collection features striking examples of postwar and contemporary sculpture from influential artists such as Magdalena Abakanowicz and Ursula von Rydingsvard. FREE! Bass Concert Hall, 2350 Robert Dedman Dr, Austin.