AUSTIN (KXAN) – There are plenty of free events happening around Central Texas this week.
Here are some ideas from Free Fun in Austin:
- Free Day of Dance– Saturday, all day. There will be more than 180 dance classes offered all over the Austin area: Country, Swing, Salsa, Ballroom, Tango, and more. How many styles of dance will you try? Classes offered for all levels. No partner needed. View the full schedule here. FREE!Various locations.
- Maker Space Mania– Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. This event will show families how to make useful literacy tools from recycled and upcycled materials. Families, faculty, and the community are invited to attend this fun reading event that helps inspire children to become lifelong readers. MakerSpace Madness will feature fair-style booths with a guide providing instructions on making take-away reading resources. Storytime read alouds featuring maker stories will be presented in the last hour of the program. Makers can learn to make books, bookmarks, and book art, plus every child will take home a FREE There will be light snacks and raffles for attendees. FREE! Lanier High School, 1201 Payton Gin Rd, Austin.
- Clear Your Clutter Day– Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Celebrate Get Organized Month in January by clearing your clutter. Event partners will accept everything from textiles and books to appliances and electronics. View full list of accepted items here. FREE! Bethany United Methodist Church, 10010 Anderson Mill Rd, Austin.
- Verge Art and Music: Inaugural Event– Saturday from 7-11:00 p.m. Featuring 14 local artists, live music by Tommy Cornelison Group, interactive visualizations, and collaborative art projects including a giant coloring page. Complimentary refreshments generously provided by Real Ale Brewing Co, Austin Eastciders, Daily Greens juice, SkinnyPop popcorn, and Paqui gourmet tortilla chips. While this event is kid-friendly, it is not designed specifically for children. Please be aware that some artwork may feature minor artistic nudity. FREE! Rising Sun Aikido, 1600 W Stassney Ln, Austin.
- Relay for Life Fun Run– Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. No registration required to run or walk around the 1.42 mile trail. There will be a live DJ mixing tracks to encourage walkers along the way. Warm-up stretches will start at 9:00 a.m. and the race will begin at 9:30 a.m. Stick around after the run for food, goodie bags, and a dance party. Participants are encouraged to wear purple to honor survivors, remember loved ones who have lost their battle, and fight back against cancer. FREE but donations are suggested to benefit the American Cancer Society. The Shops at Arbor Trails, 4301 W William Cannon, Austin.