More than 115 students, staff sick in apparent gas leak at Beaumont school

Gas leak at Marshall Middle School in Beaumont
Gas leak at Marshall Middle School in Beaumont (NBC)

BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) — Authorities say more than 115 students and staff members at a Southeast Texas school are being evaluated at hospitals after an apparent carbon monoxide leak.

Beaumont emergency personnel say the children and adults from Marshall Middle School were being treated Thursday for injuries not believed to be life-threatening.

Beaumont Independent School District spokesman Ron Reynolds says the initial investigation shows there was a leak in a gas boiler.

The City of Beaumont says first responders were called after a child became unconscious. Numerous students and faculty reported symptoms including nausea and headaches.

Baptist Beaumont Hospital spokeswoman Mary Poole says they’re treating 36 patients. CHRISTUS Southeast Texas St. Elizabeth hospital, in a statement, said 47 patients were being treated. Becky Ames, administrator at Victory Medical Center, said they were treating 34.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s