AFD: Clothes dryer cause of South Austin apartment fire

Firefighters respond to an apartment fire on Victory Drive (KXAN Viewer Photo)
Firefighters respond to an apartment fire on Victory Drive (KXAN Viewer Photo)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Fire Department says a malfunctioning clothes dryer caused a fire that burned part of a South Austin apartment complex Monday night.

The fire at the Mission James Apartments on Victory Drive, near the intersection of S. Lamar Boulevard and Ben White Boulevard, was contained to the interior wall of the second and third floors.

AFD says no one was hurt in the fire.

Three units suffered fire and water damage and the six to eight residents affected are being helped by apartment management. At one point 12 apartments had to be evacuated but only three units burned.

Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents inside.

“At your house, we hope everyone is good about cleaning the link trap out every time they use their dryer,” said AFD Division Chief, Palmer Buck. “Sometimes when its not your dryer you don’t think about that.”

AFD reported the fire shortly after 10:00 p.m. Monday.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s