Lit cigarette causes house fire in South Austin

House fire on Texas Sun in south Austin. (KXAN Photo/Marc Suarez)
House fire on Texas Sun in south Austin. (KXAN Photo/Marc Suarez)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A lit cigarette caused nearly $200,000 worth of fire damage to a South Austin home on Wednesday evening. According to the Austin Fire Department, the fire started just after 6 p.m. in the 8800 block of Texas Sun.

When firefighters arrived at the home there was fire coming through the roof of the home. The two people who were home at the time were able to get out safely, but one of their cats died. Firefighters were able to put out the fire and contain the damage to the attic and the backside of the house.

“A fire you know is tragic to go through any time of the year but we do see an uptick of structure fires in the month of December historically during the holidays but always good to remember a working smoke detector is the cheapest life insurance policy that you can have,” says Firefighter Edward Hanna.

 

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s