AUSTIN (KXAN)- We’re just a week and a half away from Christmas and there are lots of things for you to do around town. Here are some of the recommendations from our partners at Free Fun in Austin.
- Nutcracker Ballet at the Library (Round Rock) – Monday, December 14 at 6:30 p.m. Metamorphosis Dance presents a Pre-K-friendly ballet performance of The Nutcracker for ages 3 and up. Hear the story, meet the dancers, see them in action, and enjoy a photo session with them afterwards. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Deck the Halls with Diapers – Tuesday, December 15 from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. This event aims to fill Santa’s sleigh with diapers! Guests will enjoy holiday traditions like decorating cookies for Santa and doing simple crafts, plus newer traditions like building LEGO with Snapology–all while listening to holiday music. There will be a photo booth with elf props, a baby area for the littlest diaper bank supporters, and a holiday story time. FREE but donations of diapers and/or dollars are requested. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
- African Children’s Choir Concert – Wednesday, December 16 at 7:00 p.m. Attend the African Children’s Choir 30th Anniversary celebration. Helping Africa’s most vulnerable children today, so they can help Africa tomorrow. Admission is FREE but a love offering will be collected. Central Christian Church, 1110 Guadalupe St, Austin.
- Rocking Holiday Extravaganza with Texas Choral Consort and the Invincible Czars + The Big Sing at the Blanton – Thursday, December 17 at 5:30 p.m. Starting at 5:30 p.m., the vocal power of Texas Choral Consort joins with the irreverence of rock innovators Invincible Czars, resulting in electrified mashups of holiday music and amped-up sing-along classics. Then, at 6:30, join the Symphonic Choir from Conspirare in a community singing event. The Conspirare conductor will lead visitors through a series of classical and popular choral works connected to the imagery of winter holidays as depicted in the Blanton’s collection. Admission to The Blanton will be FREE and the Museum will be open until 9 p.m. as a part of Third Thursday. Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin.
- The Grinch Performance – Friday, December 18 and Saturday, December 19 at 7:30 p.m. All are invited to this live adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch. Holiday refreshments and an opportunity for pictures with the cast will follow the performance. FREE but toy donations for Austin Police Department’s Operation Blue Santa are encouraged. Potter’s House Christian Church, 13461 Pond Springs Rd, Austin.