AUSTIN (KXAN) – There are plenty of free events going on around Austin this weekend. Here are some suggestions from our partners at Free Fun in Austin.
- Spooktacular at the Bullock Museum– Friday, October 30 from 5-8 p.m. Explore the Bullock after hours at this family-friendly Halloween extravaganza, featuring performances, games, interactive activities, art, and more. This year’s program will introduce children and their families to Texas “creepy crawlies,” plus kids can get hands-on with spooky science from Girlstart. FREE! Bullock Museum, 1800 Congress Ave., Austin.
- South Austin Rec Center Halloween Spooktacular– Friday, October 30 from 5-7 p.m. Wear your best costume to win candy and prizes! Enjoy carnival games, a costume contest, and try the Escape the Clubroom Challenge (fastest time wins the grand prize!). Bring your own bag for candy. FREE! South Austin Recreation Center, 1100 Cumberland Rd, Austin.
- Sinister Circus Halloween Carnival– Friday, October 30 from 6:30–8:30 p.m. Come one, come all, step right up to the main event of the year under the Northwest Big Top! You’ll find everything you need to have a haunting good time: bounce house, popcorn, carnival games, candy, prizes, a sinister circus trick-or-treat trail, and even more Halloween fun! Festival admission, your first 10 tickets, and endless trips through the Trick-or-Treat Trail are FREE! Additional tickets are only 25¢. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Dr, Austin.
- Hero-Sized Halloween– Saturday, October 31 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Join the North Village Branch this Halloween for a fun-filled family program featuring the Avengers films. There will be a special Heroic Storytime with lots of titles to check out, plus engaging games, contests and a photo booth with props. Feeling crafty? You can make cool t-shirts with spray paint! Size availability isn’t guaranteed, so you may want to bring an old t-shirt that fits. Finally, you can watch the Avengers films with tasty snacks to share. Costumes are encouraged. As always, programs at the Austin Public Library are FREE and open to the public. APL – North Village Branch, 2505 Steck Ave., Austin.
- Día de los Muertos Celebration at Central Market – Saturday, October 31 from 6-9 p.m. Central Market presents their 8th Annual Día de los Muertos celebration, partnering with Acadêmicos da Ópera (Austin Samba School) and Las Monas de San Antonio (bringing their giant puppets) for a family-friendly parade and dance celebration. The program will also include a DJ for dancing. Central Market’s Día de los Muertos celebration is FREEand open to the public. Come hungry with your whole family to one of Austin’s cornerstone Día de los Muertos events. Central Market North, 4001 N. Lamar., Austin.