AUSTIN (KXAN)- Looking for fun this weekend? Here’s what our partners for Free Fun in Austin have in mind.
- Community Diez y Seis Celebration – Friday, September 11 from 5:30-8 p.m. Help celebrate Mexico’s Independence with free games, prizes, music, and food. Everyone is welcome. FREE! Metz Rec Center, 2407 Canterbury St, Austin.
- 37th Annual Mexican Independence Celebration – Saturday, September 12 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Head to Fiesta Gardens to celebrate the culture, history and traditions of the Mexican and Mexican-American communities with music, food, song and dance! This one-day event will feature a variety of Tejano bands, including Jimmy Gonzalez y Grupo Mazz, Marcos Orosco, Los Dos Gilbertos, and Los Badd Boyz del Valle. The Fiesta Folklorico dance exhibition will feature a variety of dance groups from the central Texas area performing dances from different regions of Mexico in colorful festive dress ensembles. See the schedule. Watch the video promo. Please note that no pets are allowed. Admission is only FREE from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (From 2-5 p.m. admission is $8; from 5 p.m. to close admission is $10; children 12 and under are always FREE with paying adult.) Fiesta Gardens Park West, 1901 Bergman St., Austin.
- ¡Viva México! 2015 – Saturday, September 12 from 6-9 p.m. Come celebrate Dieciseís de Septiembre, Mexico’s Independence Day, at the ESB-MACC for ¡Viva México! 2015! Enjoy children’s activities, live music, dance performers, theatre, and food vendors! Live music and cultural performances. See the schedule. FREE! Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center, 600 River Street, Austin. (There will be a shuttle bus service beginning at 6 p.m. from Sanchez Elementary and Martin Middle School and the surrounding area.)
- Viva Streets – Sunday, September 13 from 12-5 p.m. Go play in the streets! Nine car-free blocks of East 6th Street will be filled with activities, including hula hooping, ping pong, giant chess, jump roping, chalk art, bike polo, cane fishing, soccer, basketball, and more. FREE! (See map and read about getting there.) East 6th Street, Austin.
- Minor Mishap Water Parade – Sunday, September 13 at 7 p.m. Join in an end-of-summer flotilla with Minor Mishap Marching Band! You can bring your own boat/kayak/paddle-board, or you can rent one. It’s rad to be in a boat, obviously, but you can also participate from the shore at Red Bud Isle. FREE! Red Bud Isle, 3401 Redbud Trail, Austin.