AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Salmonella outbreak connected to cucumbers from Mexico have been linked to one woman’s death in Texas. The Texas Department of State Health Services says the person who died in late August also had serious underlying health conditions.
Health officials in California said a 99-year-old San Diego woman died on Aug. 17 due to the contaminated cucumbers. The recalled cucumbers were distributed to numerous states by Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce in California
The investigation has identified 341 confirmed Salmonella Poona cases nationwide, including 18 in Texas. DSHS is urging people to follow national guidance not to eat recalled cucumbers that may be contaminated with Salmonella.
If people are unsure whether cucumbers they have on hand are part of the recall, they should not eat them and throw them out.
A person infected with Salmonella usually has headache, stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea and sometimes vomiting beginning 12 to 72 hours after eating a contaminated food or beverage.