AUSTIN (KXAN) – Austin Police Department will be shifting the locations where they will be enforcing the Don’t Block the Box campaign.
In case you’ve forgotten, the Don’t Block the Box campaign began in April as a way to ease congestion on Austin roads. The focus is on major roadways and in the Downtown Central Business District.
Blocking the box means that a vehicle has entered an intersection without enough room on the other side of the intersection to clear it.
Officers will be at the following key intersections to keep traffic flowing during the peak travel times of 7-9 a.m. and 4-6:30 p.m.:
• North Lamar Blvd. at 5th Street
• North Lamar Blvd. at 6th Street
• North Lamar Blvd. at 38th Street
• Lake Austin Blvd. at Atlanta Street
Officers at the intersections will be looking for the following behaviors that interrupt the flow of traffic and will be ticketing drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists:
• Red light violations
• Blocking intersections
• Failure to stop at proper place
• Failure to yield to pedestrians in crosswalk
• Failure to yield to pedestrian control device
• Driving in bus lanes
• Reckless driving
• Unsafe movements
• Removing delivery trucks during peak times that block or interfere with traffic
Additional Don’t Block the Box signs will be put at various locations across Austin during the upcoming weeks.
To learn more, click here.