Electrical failure causes fire at West Austin school

Sara Woomer via ReportIt

AUSTIN (KXAN) – The Austin Fire Department said an electrical failure in a window air conditioner unit caused a fire Tuesday night at a West Austin school for dyslexic children.

Around 8:30 p.m., AFD was called out to a heavy fire at the Rawson Saunders School located at 2614 Exposition Blvd. When they arrived, they found flames pouring out from the second floor.

Firefighters arrived within three minutes and were able to get the fire contained 15 minutes later.

AFD said a group of teachers were leaving the school on the first floor after a training session when they looked up and saw fire on the second floor.

Sara Woomer via ReportIt
Sara Woomer via ReportIt

Classes are supposed to start on Monday.

“From what I’ve heard from the administrators, the school, they do plan on opening. What form or fashion that will be in? They will open for the children they serve. Whether that’s in this building or another building. But they will hold class on Monday. They’re determined to hold class on Monday,” Smith said.

AFD says no one was hurt in the fire. Damages were estimated at $400,000 to the structure and $200,000 to the contents inside.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s