AUSTIN (KXAN) — Firefighters are busy fighting a structure fire in North Austin on Monday morning.
Black smoke can be seen billowing from the building in the 700 block of Victor Street. According to the Austin Fire Department, the fire started around 11:15 a.m. at a business that does vehicle tint.
Austin-Travis County EMS said one person was taken to the hospital due to burns to his face, arms and legs. Everyone else inside the building were able to get out safely.
“I just started pulling customers out. I ran in and got all customers out. By time we got customers and cars out, it was so far gone,” said Jeff McCoy, owner of McCoy Customs.
AFD determined the fire was started by a light bulb that failed, causing sparks and set off spilled fuel. “The electrical wires caught on fire, the transformer caught on fire, you have a lot of accelerates,” said Fire Specialist David McGuire.
A total of 13 cars were damaged in the fire.
“Yeah there’s a great big old fire over here next to the Wells Fargo over here on Breaker lane,” said one 9-1-1 caller. One of many who called in on their lunch time drives.
‘I’m just passing through. Like a vehicle place that’s on fire,” said another 9-1-1 caller.
“Yeah, we have a lot of fire units heading that way right now,” said an Austin Fire dispatcher.