CEDAR PARK, Texas (KXAN) — Various law enforcement agencies from across Central Texas gathered in Cedar Park on Thursday morning to issue a warning to people who decide to drink and drive this holiday weekend.
The Arive Alive initiative is an effort to enforce DWI laws, keep the public safe, and to conduct blood search warrants on suspects who refuse to give a breath or blood specimen as required by law. The initiative runs from 9 a.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Sunday, July 5.
Many agencies, including Austin police, will also be conducting a “no refusal” initiative during this period as well. “No refusal” means that should a suspect refuse to provide a breath or blood sample, and the officer has evidence of impairment, the officer shall apply to a judge requesting a search warrant for a blood sample.
Not only will agencies be focused on the roadways but also the waterways.
List of agencies participating in the DWI initiative:
- Austin Police Department
- Bee Cave Police Department
- Cedar Park Police Department
- Lago Vista Police Department
- Lakeway Police Department
- Lakeway State Magistrate K. Madison
- Leander Police Department
- Manor Police Department
- Pflugerville Police Department
- Sunset Valley Police Department
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
- Travis County Sheriff’s Office