Increase in mushrooms after rain can be deadly for pets

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The recent rains have many people worrying about the increase of mosquitoes, but there is also a danger affecting pets and it may be growing right in your backyard.

The rains brought a growth of mushrooms on trees which can be deadly for your pet.

“Mushrooms are toxic to dogs in several ways,” said Dr. Stephen Kerpsack with The Central Texas Veterinary Specialty Hospital. “Go in the backyard, make sure you don’t have any mushrooms. If you do pick them up, get them out of there.”

Some of the symptoms your pet may experience include vomiting and diarrhea. Kerpsack said in some instances the toxicity can be much more serious and can be associated with liver failure, which can potentially be fatal.

Kerpsack said treatment is crucial in the first 24 hours.

“Take your pet to the vet immediately if you notice any of these symptoms,” he added.

However, the symptoms might be signs of another disease.

“Leptosporosis is an infectious disease. It’s carried by wildlife and it gets in the water and in puddles and areas of standing water and when we get rain it gets spread out in alot of different areas,” said Kerpsack.

If you do take your dog to the vet for mushroom poisoning, make sure to take the mushroom as well. Kerpsack said it will help poison control pinpoint which mushrooms are causing the illness.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s