AUSTIN (KXAN)- Looking for some fun this week? Here’s what our partners at Free Fun in Austin recommend.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Monday, May 18 – Friday, May 22 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Exhibit is open until 7:00 p.m. on Thursday.) The Ransom Center celebrates 150 years of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland with an exhibition for the curious and curiouser of all ages. Learn about Lewis Carroll and the real Alice who inspired his story. See one of the few surviving copies of the first edition of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Discover the rich array of personal and literary references that Carroll incorporated throughout Alice. Explore the surprising transformations of Alice and her story as they have traveled through time and across continents. Follow the White Rabbit’s path through the exhibition, have a tea party, or watch a 1933 paper filmstrip that has been carefully treated by Ransom Center conservators. The Center’s vast collections offer a new look at a story that has delighted generations and inspired artists from Salvador Dalí to Walt Disney. Read about Katey’s experience here. FREE! Harry Ransom Center, 300 W 21st St, Austin.
- Tiny Tails to You Storytime – Wednesday, May 20 at 10:30 a.m. If you’re a fan of chinchillas, bunnies, ducklings, guinea pigs, chickens, AND stories then you’re in luck! Today, friends from Tiny Tails to You Petting Zoo will read stories and introduce some of the cutest, softest, most adorable little creatures in Austin. What a wonderful way to make new friends. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Community Night – Wednesday, May 20 from 4-8:00 p.m. At the Thinkery, science and families play side by side. Every Wednesday the museum stays open late for families to discover new ideas and learn together. Cost: Admission is by donation only, with a suggested $1 donation. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Unplugged at the Grove: Alejandro Escovedo – Thursday, May 21 at 8:00 p.m. Join KGSR every Thursday for 24 consecutive weeks at the iconic Shady Grove for one of Austin’s longest running FREEconcert series. Shady Grove, 1624 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Public Works Open House (Pflugerville) – Friday, May 22 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The public is invited to tour Pflugerville’s public works facility. There will be a children’s water conservation presentation at 11:00 a.m. Bring a camera for the equipment rodeo. Stop by anytime for a self-guided tour or attend a guided tour of the facility by a plant operator at 2:00 p.m. FREE! Public Works Facility, 15500 Sun Light Near Way #B, Pflugerville.