As moms, we most definitely also serve as leaders in our families, our jobs, our schools and our communities. Leslie Wingo, CEO at Sanders\Wingo and graduate of Leadership Austin joined us in the studio to tell us more about brushing up on some skills that can make us even better leaders. Leadership Austin is a nonprofit that brings together emerging and community leaders to develop their leadership skills, learn about issues affecting Greater Austin, and build a strong network to find solutions to those issues. Many Austin area top employers and non-profits have employees in leadership positions that have completed a Leadership Austin program. Additionally, almost half of Travis county elected officials have as well. Leadership Austin offers a variety of programs for stewards of the Greater Austin area, including Emerge, Essentials, a breakfast series and more.
Five Leadership Skills that Apply Perfectly to Motherhood
- Ask for help – One person cannot make the magic happen alone, it really does take a village and great people in all aspects of life.
- Learn to say no – It is impossible to do everything.
- Take time for yourself – It is nice to be able to spend quality time with me. Time away, allows me to clear my head and refocus.
- Forgive and move on – Making mistakes is part of life, but I need to get over myself and move on.
- Give back – It is so important to volunteer, but time is valuable at work (and at home). I am more selective in where I want/need to be and how I spend my time.
Leadership Austin is hosting the best party ever on Friday, May 8th from 7pm to 11pm at the AT&T conference center on university. Go to LeadershipAustin.org for more information.