The farmer’s market is busting with delicious vegetables right now. Elizabeth Van Huffel of Local Savour dropped by with her recipe for Carrot Slaw Lentil Salad, which incorporates some seasonal favorites. Elizabeth says remember the green tops of your carrots can be part of the fun; don’t throw them away after you chop them off. You can mince them and add them to the slaw, which gives another element of color, texture and flavor. It’s a great side dish and can be served warm or cold, and it can also stand alone as a main dish by adding protein such as chicken.
|Carrot Slaw Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 medium carrotsgrated
- 2 cups carrot topschopped
- 1/2 cup white onionchopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantrochopped
- 1 medium fresh limejuice
- 1 medium jalapeño minced
- 1 cup feta cheesecrumbles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Make lentils according to directions and set aside when finished. In a large bowl combine carrots, carrot tops, onion, cilantro, jalapeño , lime juice, and olive oil and stir together well.
- Next, add lentils, salt and pepper and give another stir. Finally, finish by adding feta cheese. Gently mix together well and serve.