Fire at DoubleTree Hotel caused by a grease fire

Doubletree Hotel fire (Mickey Cevallos/ReportIt)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Crews say the fire that broke out Friday morning at the DoubleTree Hotel in Downtown Austin has now been put out. About 100 firefighters showed up to the high-rise building, of which the top three floors were evacuated.

The hotel is at 401 West 15th St., between Guadalupe and Lavaca streets. Fire crews responded to the hotel around 9:50 a.m., and roads were blocked off in the area.

Someone on the 14th floor said he smelled smoke. Smoke could be seen coming from the top of the building for several minutes.

The Austin Fire Department determined the fire was caused by a grease fire in the kitchen’s ventilation system. All guests are back in the hotel but the kitchen will likely be out of service for the weekend.

Meanwhile, one person was being checked for respiratory issues. It is uncertain where that person was in relation to the fire.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s