Heather Blue-Harkovich of Heather Scott Home & Design shared expert advice for painting your home. Paint is usually one of the first things that people change when buying a new home. When you are choosing paint color, choose your design scheme first.
Why is Paint Important
- Paint is usually one of the first things people change when they buy a home, redecorate or think about putting their house on the market.
- Paint should generally be redone about every 7-10 years. Times change and color schemes can become ‘dated’.
- Paint is a very affordable way to update to your home.
Understand the finish choices
- Usually chose flat or eggshell for your main walls
- Eggshell or Satin if you have children and pets
- Satin in wet areas like kitchens and baths
- Semigloss on trim and cabinets
- Flat on ceiling
Don’t forget the ceiling!
- A neutral white is the best choice. Will make the ceiling feel higher
- Pale blue is also nice
- Consider a bold color as a design element when you want to save (see girl’s room samples)
- Don’t use a color if you have low ceilings
- It might also be time to repaint your doors and trim
For more tips and information you can go to their website www.heatherscotthome.com or call them at 512-342-6899.