Deadly “treats” left for dogs


(KARE) Dogs owners in a Lakeville, Minnesota neighborhood are distraught after several dogs have become severely ill and even hospitalized after eating items intended to harm animals.

Lakeville Police are pursuing a criminal investigation after families found hot dogs stuffed with screws, open safety pins and pills scattered around backyards of several homes over the weekend.

Other toxic treats discovered include steel wool rubbed with peanut butter, punctured batteries and open shotgun shells. All the items were tangled with rubber bands and appear to be created for dogs to swallow.

Seth Paulson, 15, was the first to make the discovery last Thursday afternoon when he noticed the family’s Golden Retriever was chewing on something near the fence.

“He was constantly gnawing at it and couldn’t swallow it. It was a hot dog with a screw in it,” he said. “I found two more. It looked like as if they were thrown over the fence.”

Read more

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s